28 April, 2010

no shirt, no shoes, no problem

Today when I came down the stairs to drink my coffee my mom laughed at me for wearing the things that I wear.  I don't know.  In this banal environment I live in where everyone looks the same and dresses the same and talks the same and walks the same, it's nice to add a little...we'll call it, color...to my daily life.  It's not like I wear anything too extraordinarily out there, but I mean, I pair things that normal people probably wouldn't pair....and ok, so sometimes I get "looks," but F you, I don't care.  Who are you even to give me that look-over?
Welllll actually that's not true.  I guess I do that too sometimes, but the difference is that I'm ADMIRING what the person looks like.  So maybe I should just think that those people are admiring me too.  And that will just add to my self-involved mentality that keeps springing up lately.  
So anyway, I'll continue to dress the way that I do despite my mother having something to say LITERALLY EVERY DAY.  I've come to the conclusion that she says things purely to say things.  Which leads me to the conclusion that in this sense, my mother is like many mothers of the world who do the same thing to their daughters.  And from this I further conclude that in the event that I have a daughter I will never say anything about what she chooses to wear.
I feel that what people wear is a form of creative expression just like anything else that may be.  Maybe I need to wear these things because its the only way that I feel like I wont be swallowed by the mediocrity that is Northern Virginia.  


6 comments: