06 January, 2011

Bellatrix and Narcissus



When Salma, my sister, and I were younger we would fight a lot.  I'm talking, hair pulling, pinching, shoving, the works.  She would twist her face into a terrifying monsteresque one and pinch me so hard that she shook.  And I would retaliate by attempting to do the same, but I used to (slash, still do sometimes) bite my nails, so I would never be able to really dig my fingernails into her skin, like she did to me.
Actually, one of my favorite stories to share is the one where I first show the two scars on my arm, and then tell people that, actually, it was Salma who did that to me...with her toenails.
Yes.  We were fighting on the bed one day, and she scratched me so hard with her toenails, that to this day I still have two scars on my arms.  Best day.
In her defense, one time, I took my jacket and I swung it at her with such force, and at such an angle, that the zipper cut into her forehead and blood started to gush out.  I'm pretty sure I thought I had just killed my sister when blood started to pour down her face.  But she didn't even need stitches.  And SHE doesn't have the scar...so besides the fact that I told you, there is no proof that such a thing ever happened.

Salma says that I spent my youth not physically abusing her, like she did to me, but emotionally abusing her with hurtful words.  But that's only because I honestly could not handle the beating up thing.  Whenever Salma would start to hit me or something, I'd start to run around the house, and she'd run after me.  But the situation would always be so funny that I would start to laugh hysterically, which made Salma even more upset and she would run even faster, prompting me to both run faster, and laugh harder.  Good times.

When we got older, our torture methods changed a little bit.  She would come into my room and refuse to get out.  So I would respond by going into her room and taking my pants off and threatening to rub my butt on her sheets.  But she would retaliate by pulling her own pants down and threatening to rub her butt on my bed.  But then we would realize that really there was no point to what we were doing because when it came down to it, we both were just standing in each others rooms with our pants half down, and our butts exposed.  So...that quickly turned old.  Although, I admit, that there have been times in the not so past that this has occurred again...

She also used to do this really annoying thing where she would come into my room and refuse to get out.  So I would try to push her out and she wouldn't move.  So then, I would start to scream "GET OUT OF MY ROOM!!!!" and she would say "ok ok but don't touch me."  But then, she would INCH her way out of the room, which made me even more mad because it took forever, so I would push her, and she would pretend that it was the strongest push, and she would RUN into the closest wall and start to scream, "MOMMMMMYYYYYY RANNNA JUST PUSHED ME INTO THE WALL!!!"  And I would scream back, "OH MY GOD MOM I DIDN'T EVEN PUSH HER THAT HARD SHE JUST RAN HERSELF INTO THE WALL!!!!" And she would laugh quietly while my mom would tell me that pushing is so dangerous what if Sal fell down the stairs...even if we were nowhere near the stairs.  It was (is) annoying

These days we don't fight very much.  In fact, our relationship has turned so smooth, that I do things to instigate fighting.  Just to keep things fresh.  For instance, I'll walk into her room and grab her Tweety.  And Sal is really sensitive when it comes to Tweety.  So that may start a brawl.  Or, the other day Salma was just sitting there minding her own business and I decided to keep pulling her hair.  And actually, she let me pull her hair a few times before she realized that, "wait a minute, Ranna is pulling my hair!"  And she responded by pulling my hair SO HARD.  It wasn't cool.

OR.  Sal made up this game where she pulls down my pants when I'm least expecting it.  And then we decided that we practice under the guidelines of just warfare, so we made up some rules.  1. You can't pull the other's pants down right after your pants have been pulled down 2. You can't pull the other's pants down if the other person is expecting it.
Only, I'm NEVER expecting it, and Salma is ALWAYS expecting it.  So whenever I even get close to her, even if Im not even thinking about pulling her pants down, she yells "I'M EXPECTING IT!  IM EXPECTING IT!"
The worst is when I'm going up the stairs, these days I literally have to RUN up the stairs, because I know if I don't, 100% Salma is going to be right behind me pulling my pants down.  So, I run up the stairs while simultaneously holding on to the waist of my pants so that even if she attempts to pull them down, she can't.
Whenever it happens, my mom makes a comment like, "girls this is so unladylike."  And then Sal and I both look at her like, who are we, Eliza Doolittle after Henry Higgins fixed her up?  Since when have we done anything that fit under the "ladylike" category?

Why did we (do we) fight?  I don't know, I guess it's a form of getting the other's attention.  Even if we're being annoying, at least we have contact with the other.  In its own way, fighting with each other brought us closer together, I suppose.

And in the end, sis is a cool sis.

2 comments:

  1. At first, when I started reading this post, I was all, "Ohhh yeah I get this, us sisters are always fighting."

    And then as I kept going I just started to think, "...Ranna and Salma are SO WEIRD."

    Hah. But it's very sweet in its weird way. Good post, Ran!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saeedi sisters officially win the coolness competition.
    I give up.

    -sanam

    ReplyDelete