30 May, 2010

I came home from Paris to a sick mother.  A mother who, usually, takes care of most things around the house, but for the time being, is not able to.  These past couple days at home, we've all been working together to take care of her and keep the house running.  Yesterday we had guests.  Mom asked me to go the grocery store, buy some stuff, and make dinner.  And make dinner, I did.  I made a spaghetti that beat all other spaghettis.  I mean, it was so delicious, I cried.  You cried?
The first time we made love, I cried?
YOU CRIED?

Sorry.  I got sidetracked.  So yeah.  Best spaghetti which totally boosted my confidence about cooking because everyone was like, oh ranna, all hail ranna, ranna's cooking is so good, you cry.

Then today, we were having guests again, and I decided to make salad olivieh.  I don't know why this food in particular.  For the past couple of days I've really been craving it and since no one else was going to make it, the only way I was going to get some was if I made it myself.
So.  I needed to get a recipe and in my head I thought, "Who makes the best salad olivieh?"
And of course, the answer is Lida, Yasna's mom.  I mean, I don't even know how the salad olivieh tastes like that.  Because it is the most AMAZING FOOD IN THE WORLD! I crave it all the time.
But then I thought, I should just call someone in the United States, you know, because I was sitting downstairs drinking coffee at the time.  And so I thought, ok second best person who makes salad olivieh?
Mammany?
And Salma was like, ding ding ding NAZY.
Which sort of infuriated my mother because she was like, "PAS MAN CHIII?"  Because my mom sort of has this complex about us talking about other people's home cooking being better than hers, and she always feels like she has to defend her cooking, even though she really cooks well, and we love her cooking, but you know, salad olivieh, khoresht bademjoon, things like that...other people make them a little better.  A LITTLE.  A tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny bit better.

SO anyyyywayyy, then I called Nazy, got directions, and spent the NEXT SIX HOURS making salad olivieh.  Let me tell you something, it was really hard because I had to boil 8374 different things, cut everything up, make sure the mayo concoction didn't overpower the other flavors.  It was hard.

BUT.  IT WAS A SUCCESS.


Nazy said that it beat a lot of other salad oliviehs.  I mean.  I don't know about that.  I think I used the wrong pickles.  BUT.  It was good.  It was really good.  And tomorrow it's only going to be better.  

But.  Um.  Lida Joon, if you're reading this....I would LOVE your recipe for salad olivieh.  KthanksBye.  

different peoples reactions 









4 comments:

  1. Ranna, you're awesome. I'm so proud of you. Be my mentor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ranna jonam,I usualy read your blog, but I don´t know how I missed this particular one!!Any way thank you for your vote of confidence! I love that you loved my "olivier" .I´ll be happy to give you the recipe! but I have some tricks I have to show you. I love you and salma so much!you two are like my daughters, hope you know that ! And I hope next time I´ll see you, would be in your new apartment! and we´ll make olivier together!!

    ReplyDelete