19 January, 2010

Women and World Religion

Last semester I only took ECON classes and one IT class and I thought it was the worst mistake ever.  I was like, next semester, I'm mixing it up a little.  So today, after three ECON classes, I entered my "Women and World Religion" class.  I was excited, but a little nervous.  It's funny because I was always nervous when I walked into my ECON classes, because before, I didnt know that many people or the professors and I didn't feel up to talking that much, but in all of my ECON classes today I saw familiar faces, and it was just a relaxed environment.  We talked about our winter vacations, our finals last semester,  how we felt about the teachers etc etc.
In the religion class, everyone knew each other except for me.  When we went around and introduced ourselves EVERYONE was a Religious Studies major, and then there was me.
"Hello.  I'm Ranna Saeedi.  I study Economics and French.  I'm a senior."
"Why are you taking this class Ranna?"
"Well.  You see.  I needed a little break from Economics this semester.  I thought this would be an interesting class."
"Have you ever taken a religion class before?"
"No, but I've read a lot about Islam."
"Have you ever taken a women's studies course?"
"Nope.  But I love Simone de Beauvoir."
The class laughed .

The teacher came up to me when everyone was working in groups and told me to prepare to work hard. I looked at her and told her I could handle it.
We talked about patriarchy.  We talked about feminism and gender equality.  Equality in general.  I....I'm not used to talking about these things in my ECON classes without hearing smirks around the room.  there were things that people said, and I could feel my blood starting to rise, I could feel myself beginning to get defensive about certain issues.  What was it?  Oh, some girl started to talk about feminism and was saying just the...things I don't agree with.
Each time I wanted to say something, I was shut down by this voice telling me not to talk, because clearly these religious studies majors, these womens studies majors know more than I do; it is, in any case, what they study.
But at one point, I couldn't keep my mouth shut and I started to talk.  And then, it got easier.  And then I was like, ok this is good.  I can do this.  I can be in this room.  I can be a part of this.
I'm really looking forward to the rest of the semester and this class.

goodnight

2 comments: