27 July, 2010

short post short post come and get it

haha randomly there's a teleflora advertisement on my blog?  that's so funny and coincidental.

my day was quite entertaining actually.  earlier in the afternoon an older man walked into the store and headed straight for the refrigerator.  when i approached him to ask what he wanted, he said he was looking for a simple vased arrangement.  typically, my next questions would be about price and type of flower.  price didn't matter he said, he was interested in buying roses.  i asked him what color he wanted and he was  unsure.  "there are so many colors you have."  this is true.  the earlier you come in during the week the more flowers we have.
so i asked for whom the flowers were intended.
"my wife.  well, sort of.  my soon to be ex-wife.  we're in the process of getting a divorce.  i'm hoping the roses will convince her otherwise."
in my head i was screaming at him, "you imbecile!!! you expect your wife to rethink divorce after you give her a flower arrangement??!!  sentimental value only goes so far!"
instead i smiled at him, said, "that's nice of you.  i'd go for a mixed color arrangement."
sold.
he left the store waving and saying, "make it nice.  my marriage depends on you."  so much pressure.  so little incentive.

fast forward a few hours, i was getting ready to leave the shop when a younger guy, about my age, walks in looking exasperated.  "i need to get roses for my girlfriend....actually...are roses ok?  she's not talking to me right now. in fact, i really don't think she'll ever talk to me ever again, but i can try, right?  i'll get a dozen roses in a vase.  that maay do it."
uhhhh, what the hell did you do?
"i only have 50 dollars on my bank card. so.....also, do you have some sort of "im sorry for being such a jerk card?"
as a matter of fact...we do!
on the card he wrote, "I'm sorry!  Give me one last chance!"
"I need these flowers to be delivered," he said, "if she tries to give them back to you, don't take them.  if she breaks the vase in front of you, get out of the way."
the three others and i were standing there a little surprised at how bluntly he was speaking about her anger, entertained by the pain he was feeling, and a little curious about what he could have possibly done.  still, we did not get any answers.
as he left, he said, "if this works, and she forgives me, i'm coming back tomorrow and buying everything in the store."
yeah right.  1. he spent all of his money today buying 12 roses. 2. he'll totally forget about us if she makes up with him 3. yeah right she's going to forgive him after she receives a little vase with flowers.

my dad says i lack any sentimental quality.

2 comments:

  1. This might be one of my favorite posts. I'd actually love it if you added even a little more detail, show-don't-tell type of stuff maybe?

    ReplyDelete