07 October, 2009

dande imana janu shirasana. im thirsty

wow.  apologies are in order.  i was supposed to keep this blog in awesome shape..instead i let it dwindle away slowly....  really, i was so set on posting some new blogs last week, but i came down with what i like to call H1N1 and that kept me away from my blog writing duties.  but im back and ready to...rumble?

While I was sick I decided that whenever I recovered I would make it a life goal of mine to stay as healthy as possible for the rest of my life.  I have a very weak immune system, it seems, and so getting sick comes easily.  This can't happen.  I'm far too busy and far too important to let the flu keep me in bed for one entire week.  How will I do this?  Eat healthy, drink plenty of water, dress accordingly depending on the weather.
Yoga.  Yoga.  Yoga.

Now, my bikram practice today got me thinking.  Our instructor, Frankie, was excellent, and she started the class by telling a story about how during her Bikram training there was a crazy who would shout out before every class, " I LOVVEEE YOOOO GAAAAAAAA!!!"  At first, people thought he was obnoxious, but once they started getting into the practice, they themselves would start yelling it out at random times, whenever it seemed fit.

It's funny, because it made me realize that though it drives me crazy to practice this intense sort of yoga in a 120 degree room for 90 minutes, there must be something that I love about it that makes me go back again and again.  There must be something that makes people run to Bikram in flocks.

What is it?  I mean, I don't necessarily love the practice itself.  Most of the time, as i'm sweating, dripping really, and my heart it beating a mile a minute, I'm thinking, "whyy do i do this to myself?????"  but I keep doing it.

Then it hit me.  Yoga makes me feel limitless.  In that 90 minutes of moving meditation, while I'm sooo focused on getting my spine and my mind aligned, when I'm so focused to reach the "yog" it gives me a feeling of invincibility; that I can leave the room and do whatever I want because I can withstand this.

I strip away the plaque that is worry, that is arbitrary thought, every negative emotion, every looming, dooming feeling.  It's stripped away.  And for 90 minutes I can breath.

So I got it.  We practice because even if we SUCK at it, the practice gives us perspective.  A much needed perspective on our lives.

So you know what?  I LOVVEEEEE YOOOGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAA  :)

Love, RANNA

3 comments:

  1. ranna- i have something to confess to you

    i am "the crazy" that you speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know. i love yooouuuu (gaaaaa)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po9E98p2akQ&feature=related

    ReplyDelete